Sunday, December 16, 2007

It's Not About Me!

I've been reminded numerous times this week about the need to love and serve others. I've been checking my motives and actions alot lately as to why I do or say certain things. Is it to love and serve others in order to bring glory to God or is it for my own benefit? In the past couple of weeks there were a few occasions when I expressed love or care for a friend and their response wasn't what I expected. My response was dissapointment.

Romans 12:9-13 says "Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil. Cling to what is good. Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another; not lagging in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord; rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer; distributing the needs of the saints, given to hospitality."

These verses convicted me. I'm going to be continually let down by people if I'm putting my hope and trust in them. I need to live my life to glorify God and bring honor unto Him. If that means loving others, being faithful and devoted to others without a simple thank you in return then so be it. We all need to think not of our own desires and wants but others. It's not always easy but God has been gracious to this girl and I want to honor Him in all things.

*Today I'm thankful for the way the Lord reveals himself to me in many different ways and situations. I'm thankful that he loves me enough that he never stops teaching me and showing me my sin.

2 comments:

Shannon H. said...

Oh - how I do struggle with this as well. I find myself muttering daily, "eyes to the Father, eyes to the Father, eyes to the Father".

If I didn't my heart would be pretty hardened.

Great post.

ERIC said...

'I need to live my life to glorify God and bring honor unto Him'. I like that i will try to do the same. If u can read french, visit my blog www.meditons.blogspot.com and tell me what you think. God bless u.