Friday, January 4, 2008

A Mid-Life Crisis?!?!?

I remember when I used to love my birthday. I have always thought birthdays were special and have found it a great time to remind those you love why you love and care for them (although I believe this should be done on a regular basis). It's only the first few hours of my birthday and I have already received lots of love from those I cherish.

This birthday has been a hard one for me. I think about my life and feel so blest. I look at my job, my house, my FRIENDS (who are the best!) and I have more than most. Yet my human sinful self looks at the things I don't have that I think I want.This is where my struggle has been the past few weeks. The great news is that God has been faithful and has shown me his promises that have comforted me daily the past few weeks.

God was again faithful in reminding me of a sermon our Beloved pastor shared with us a few weeks back. I want to share the main points of it with you as this encouraged me at a much needed time.
Ways to Survive a Mid-Life Crisis:
Savor the Moment:
Ecclesiastes: 5:18 Life is full of sin, sadness, and disappointment. As a result of this man struggles. Joy is a gift and an act of grace from God to man. Savor each moment He gives us (the good and the bad.) Enjoy your life while fearing God.
Never let circumstances rob us of our joy.
*Commit yourself to be a connoisseur of circumstance. Never allow hardships to rob you of your joy.
Seize the Day:
Ecclesiastes 5:18-20 The best thing I can do through all trials is to enjoy life because it is fleeting. View life rightly. See your years as the motivation to live your life fully in the present. Don't call to mind the past or future as this makes you not live in the here and now but in the expectations of what you don't have. It's living in the world of unrealized dreams.
Seek the Lord:
All good things come from God. All around us are testimonies to God's goodness. Seek these things and be joyful. Seek Him= Fear God.

So today I choose to rejoice and thank the Lord for His PERFECT will for my life. He makes no mistakes and through all the trials of my life I am thankful. Ecc. 7:3 "Sorrow is better than laughter. For by a sad countenance the heart is made better." This verse is true for me today. My heart is being made better because I choose to trust in the Lord. There is NO crisis (mid-life or other) with Christ!

*Today I am thankful for my friends who love me and are praying for me. I feel it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HOLLIE! I have been encouraged by your honesty and faith in pursuing the Lord in all circumstances. =) May this day be filled with many RICH memories for your vault of testimonies of God's faithfulness and lovingkindness toward you.

Summer Martin said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GIRL! Just love you and am excited to see you tonight!!

Wendy Penberthy said...

Hollaaaaaaa!! Happy Birthday GILLLLLL!! I love you and am thinking about you today! I wish I had a pic of you to post on my blog! Have a great day girl, I wish I were te

Kelli said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AUNTIE HOLLIE!!!! I'm glad I gave you a birthday kiss. Mommy can't wait to see you tonight. I wish I was spending the night so we could play in my tent with Tricia!!!!! You are one of my favorites!!!! Love, Ivy

612 SW 50th Street said...

HAPPY B-DAY Hollie. I hope you had a great b-day. I love your blog. You are doing a great job with it. We all miss you and wish we could have seen you today. Keep trusting the Lord's plan for your life...He has the perfect plan for you. Love, Kyle