Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Considering Others...

A few weeks ago I was looking over a book by CJ Mahaney's wife and there was a chapter on "Considering People". This got me thinking about my friends. I have been blest with an abundance of great friends. I can't even begin to tell you what an important part some of my friends have played in my life. I have many different groups of friends and consider myself very blest when it comes to the friend department. The trouble I've experienced is managing my time in order to pursue my different friendships. This has caused me to evaluate what's really important and where I should be putting my time. This is hard as there are so many wonderful people in my life and not enough free time to spend with all those I love and cherish. The following have been some things that I've thought through and considered after reading through this book (dont know the name of the book!)

1. When it comes to relationships we tend to be more passive than intentional and purposeful. I want to have purpose in all my relationships! I think this past year has been a time of great growth and encourgement in a lot of my relationships. I want to continue this and be thoughtful in these things. I don't want my emotions and feelings to dictate the way I go about relationships.I want my friendships to be like the one found in Proverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another." or Hebrews 10:24 "And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds." We all need friends who spur us on towards godliness.

2. I also need friends who can mentor. I need to invest more in the girls at the college and spur them on to be Godly women. There are so many wonderful things that come from these relationships and I have learned a lot from some of the girls that I meet with. Titus 2:3-5 "Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God."


3. Friends who need the Lord. Colossians 4:5-6 " Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone".

I don't think I will ever master this. Ecclesiastes 3 talks about how there is a season for everything. Changing seasons mean changing relationships. This tends to be the hard part for me. I need to contintually evaluate my time and where I'm spending my time and not only look at how I walk but with whom I walk.


*Today I am thankful for friends that sharpen me as iron sharpens iron.

1 comment:

Sarah Ikegami said...

Thanks for sharing about this, Hollie. I really appreciate you as a friend and I am always encouraged by you! I love you!