Monday, September 15, 2008

Tame that tongue!

James 3:1-5 "Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness. 2 For we all stumble in many ways. And if anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle his whole body. 3 If we put bits into the mouths of horses so that they obey us, we guide their whole bodies as well. 4 Look at the ships also: though they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are guided by a very small rudder wherever the will of the pilot directs. 5 So also the tongue is a small member, yet it boasts of great things."

I've been thinking a lot about the power of words. What you say, how you say it, and the impact the tongue has on others. Ephesians 4:29 says "Let no corupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers." The things we should be saying and talking about as believers should be instructive, uplifting, and encouraging. Even if you are correcting someone it should be in love and not anger. Our words and actions should be immersed in grace since we have been saved by grace! I have prayed that my words would be encouraging, uplifiting, instructive, and would be full of grace to everyone I come in contact with. The Lord has convicted me in this area and it saddens me to hear all the different conversations among believers that aren't encouraging, uplifting and full of grace.

The above text shows that James presents the matter of the tongue as another test of living faith because true faith will be demonstrated by speech. Your tongue is very telling to where your heart is. The tongue is so important that James mentions it in every chapter.

It's said that women speak between 40-50,000 words a day (men speak about 25,000....HA!) I just hope that my words will be sweet and uplifiting to the hearer and if I start to say something I shouldn't that the Lord will shut me up! This has been on my mind a lot lately and wanted to share it....something to think about. Maybe we should all pray this a little more often...Psalm 141:3 "Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips"

*Today I am thankful for Luke (in my office). Today I appreciated his humility and love!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hol- I did a study on James last Fall and it was awesome!! So convicting, love the post.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Hollie! So helpful!

Jamie said...

Hollie I am so glad you shared this! I have been thinking about this very subject these last couple of days. I was remembering back to when I went to chapel at masters and the speaker was talking on this very subject. I will never forget what he said about the tongue and it's power.

I'm gonna read psalm 141:3 and pray it for you, me, lynn, and all my girlfriends.