Thursday, November 6, 2008

Trials will come...

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whevever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish it's work so that you may be complete not lacking anything." James 1:2-4
God has been so gracious to me lately. It is certainly true that he brings trials into my life to refine me and turn me to Him. It seems that lately I've seen so many people around me going through different trials and adversities. God has been really teaching me about my lack of faith and trust in Him. I have been so encouraged by His words and how he has fulfilled His promises to me. For example, Isaiah 26:3 says "He will keep Him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on You because he trusts in You." I love this verse because it's the Lord telling me that if I choose to trust in Him then He will give me peace if my mind is stayed on Him. This has been a hard one for me as I like to be in charge of all areas of my life. God has been showing me that I need to trust in Him and wait for him to direct my paths. As Christians, we are to pursue with diligence the will of God. To do this requires perseverance. Perseverance is the quality of character that enables one to pursue a goal in spite of obstacles and difficulties.

We must believe that God is soverign. Learning to trust God is a matter of will and is not dependant on feelings. It's a matter of faith. If you pursue that then God will give you perfect peace because our mind is on Him. I know this is a battle! Trusting God isn't a passive state of mind! It's a choice of the mind and soul where we choose to hang onto the promises of God and cling to them despite the adversity that at times seek to overwhelm us.

We must always remember that God's character DOES NOT change! He is unchanging, eternal, wise, LOVING, kind, compassionate, just, patient, HOLY, jealous for his own honour, perfect in every way, and omniscent. He knows our trials because He allowed them for our good and His glory. We must cast all our anxiety on Him because He cares for us! (1 Peter 5:7)

As we all continue to persevere through the different trials that He brings us let's not lose sight of the cross and His truths. Praise the Lord that we have Hope and that it's all out of our control.

*Today I am thankful that I can rejoice always, pray without ceasing and in EVERYTHING give thanks! This is the will of God in Christ Jesus for us!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great reminder, Hol! Thank you! It is so true that trusting the Lord is an act of the will, like you said. Thanks so much for your example!