Monday, November 10, 2008

My Baptism...


I was baptized last night at Grace Community Church. It was aweome. The following was my testimony.

I grew up in a Christian home but never fully comprehended the extent of my sin or what the Lord saved me from. I was in church two to three times a week but never made Christ my own. I said I was a Christian but my actions and motives didn’t reflect a person who was truly saved and placing their faith in Jesus Christ. As I got older my desires and pursuits outweighed what the Lord commanded of me and what I knew His Word required of a believer. I said I believed the Gospel but my life and attitude didn’t reflect it. My mouth would say one thing but my actions would do something else. I went through the motions of being baptized in junior high but continued to live a life of sin. I would outright sin against God, knew what I was
doing was wrong yet continued to do it anyway. I lived a life of self-glorification, pride, lust, deceit, and anger to name a few. I never took responsibility for my actions and would look at others and blame them for my own sin. It wasn’t until I came out to California and was under solid biblical teaching that my heart and mind started to become transformed.

Being under the teaching at Grace Community and seeing how the gospel is lived out,
impacted me. God began to reveal himself to me in many ways. Psalm 49:15 says:
“But God will redeem my soul from the power of the grave, For he shall receive me.” The Holy Spirit was convicting me of my sin and my wrongful thinking. I began to understand what the Church really is and what it means to live a transformed life for Christ. My motives and desires began to change and Christ became a central part of my life. I began to see more of my sin and hate it! I can’t give the exact time when I was saved but I know without a doubt that I am.
My hope and trust are in Christ and Him alone. Romans 5:5 “Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.” My heart is overwhelmed with God’s love and goodness to me. I battle my sin daily and am overwhelmed that the Lord loves me and choose to save me.
I no longer seek my own sinful desires and wants but look to the Lord to control and lead me.
My thoughts, motives and actions are a reflection of loving, following and serving Christ.

Romans 10:10 “For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth
confession is made unto salvation.” Over the past six months the Lord has been leading me
towards being baptized. Today I am being baptized out of obedience to my Lord and Savior
Jesus Christ.

*Today I am thankful for all my friends who came to support and love me!

9 comments:

Kelli said...

Great testimony Hol. It was beautiful to watch. We love you!

Anonymous said...

We're glad it went well. We wish we could have been there to support you!!
- Kyle, Becca and the kids

Cherie Baker Vann said...

congrats!!! that is so exciting!!

Bill and Jenn said...

Hollie, I wish I would I known! I would have loved to be there to support you! What an awesome testimony. Can't wait to catch up with at lunch on Wednesday. Love ya, girl.

Anonymous said...

I was so proud of you! You did GREAT! Love you!

Jenny M. said...

I wish I could've been there to witness such an amazing testimony!

Love you..praying for you

Sarah Ikegami said...

Awesome, Hollie! I didn't know you were being baptized! I'm glad you got pics!

Anonymous said...

My sweet lovey! Congrats! on your baptism. I had no idea you were going to be baptized I guess I just figured you already had. PTL sista! Love your testimony!

Heidi

kissaknee said...

congrats! I wish we would have known ahead of time and we would have made a special trip for evening service! i always thought you had already been baptized too!