Saturday, August 9, 2008

The Least of These...

James 1:27 “Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.”

I have always had a heart for the child who was the underdog. That's one reason why I studied social work in college and was a practicing social worker for over 5 years. I always wanted to help those children grow up in a safe and nurturing environment. Of course, the gospel is not something that could be spoken of when you work for the state but as I have grown and stepped away from the field of social work I see the need more than ever. Not just to place these children in a safe and nurturing environment but to show them the Love of God. Imagine how delighted I was when Kelli and Matt decided to adopt. Ivy came through a private adoption and now they are doing foster care to adoption. Just to see Ivy grow up in a home that desires to honor the Lord is such a blessing to watch. The Lord choose her to be a part of our family. What about all the other children who need homes?

Foster care is something that I think the church needs to take a more active role in. If God commands us to care for the widows and orphans then why aren't we? It's great to adopt them and provide a loving home for them but what about just caring for them and or spend time with them in order for them to see the love of Jesus even if it's for a few months? The following verse has come to mind:

1 John 3: 17-18 "But whoever has this world's goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him? My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and truth."

* Today I am thankful that the Lord has placed a desire in Matt and Kelli to care for the orphans and bring them into a loving environment. Love is not sentiment but deeds.

2 comments:

Kelli said...

Hollie, thanks for the encouraging words. That last bible verse really spoke to me. I love your heart.

Anonymous said...

Such a great thought, Hollie, and you are right!! I love your last phrase - love is not sentiment but deeds. So true!! And so heartbreaking to think of all those children who need a place to call home and a loving family to teach them about the Lord. SO great that Kelli and Matt are willing to do that despite all of the unknowns.