Thursday, March 19, 2009

Living a Contented Life...

The third sleepless night in a row. Tought I'd share...A couple months ago our Dean of Women at TMC asked me to be on a panel for our Women's chapel. She was going to have a couple ladies representing different phases in life and asked me to be there representing single women. At first I was very hesitant because I knew a lot of questions would come up on singleness versus marriage. I had lunch with Erikka MacArthur one day and told her where I was at and she strongly encouraged me to do it and share with the girls my heart. So tommorow is the day. It's made me really think through if I am content where the Lord has me and analyze if I am really thankful for my singleness at this point in my life. In evaluating this it has made me most thankful for the way the Lord has blessed me as a single women. I have a wonderful job, the best church in America, Godly people, a great home with a roomate who loves to entertain with me, a sweet ride, money to be able to help those in need. freedom to have a little fun and the best friends a girl could ask for. Yet, with all these things I want more. I desire to be married and have children but because I am not does that mean I'm not content?

I heard a sermon that really spoke to me and it's one of the things I hope to share with the girls tommorow.This applies to people in every phase of life:
To live a contented life you need to:
Trust in God's providence. God works everthing to His own will and glory and our good.Proverbs 16:9 "A man's heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps."
Be satisfied with little.We should all be liberated from need. Fight the battle to be thankful for what he is giving you instead of always wanting more.

Be independant from circumstance.Circumstances shouldn't determine our oontentment. If I truly believe in the soverignty of God then my faith and trust shouldn't waiver in trials or difficult circumstances.

Be sustained by God's power."I can do all things through Him who strengthns me..."

Preoccupation with the well being of others. I love this. A Godly woman that I meet with has really taught me this one. Trials are perfecting God's purposes and when i take the focus off myself and put it on others and pray for others my problems don't seem so bad.
Selfish people are never content. Contented people are concerned with meeting other people's needs. (Lynn, you are a great example of this!)

I am thankful and content where the Lord has me. I do desire marriage and children but know that God's timing is best and when he is ready to provide that for me then it's the perfect time. *pray that I keep remembering that :)

*This very early morning I am thankful for a good nights sleep.

7 comments:

Bill and Jenn said...

Hollie, I love your heart. Thanks for sharing this. Living a contented life is something that ALL of us need to learn, regardless of whether we are married or not. I'll be praying for you this morning as you share with the girls... A great quote that I heard dealing with this... "Comparison truly is the thief of all Joy." (similar to your last point)

Kelli I. said...

Thanks Hollie. I needed those reminders. I'll be praying for you as you share your heart in chapel today. You are a blessing to me even across many miles! I always click on your blog with anticipation b/c it sometimes encourages me...sometimes challenges me...and often makes me laugh & smile. Thanks for being YOU!

Jamie said...

Hollie, it's so good to hear your heart on this. I can tell you I have had all of those desires and at times struggled with my future of what God had for me. The Lord has truly brought me to a place of contentment about my future. I don't say that to brag but just to show my gratitude in that the Lord has blessed me. He answered my prayers and has givin me so much thankfulness in my singleness and a sure hope to know He has my future worked out. I would Love to be married but I am so glad to be here(single). I will be praying for you that you will continue to be a blessing in young women's lives. That is so awesome!

Anonymous said...

Hollie, you are so sweet and what a blessing you are to me and everyone who has the privilege to be around you. Your honesty and desire to honor the Lord in everything you do is such an example to me. I know the girls at TMC are going to be so blessed and encouraged by your perspective. I will be praying for you today and can't wait to see you later and hear all about it! LOVE YOU!

Andrea said...

Oh sweet girl - what a blessing you are to everyone around you. Thank you for staying focused on the cross. I pray the Lord uses you mightily today. I pray for you often and share with you the same "dance" as we allow God to woo our hearts right now as single women.....that's our Jesus Romance! Hugs to you!

612 SW 50th Street said...

Great post Hol. I love the verses you used...great attitude. -Your loving brother

The Parsons' blog said...

That was awesome Hollie. I pray the Lord continues to bless you with where you are at. Keep trusting in Him and know that He knows the desires of your heart. 1 John 5:14-15 "This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him."