Saturday, May 24, 2008

Uganda: Here I Come

Well I am almost packed and getting ready to take off to Uganda. To give you some tid-bits on Uganda its known as "The Pearl of Africa" and while civil war has destroyed much of it's infrastructure, it's beautiful. Most of the country is green and fertile. It sits astride the equator bordered by Sudan to the North, Kenya to the East, Tanzania and Rawanda to the South and the Democratic Party of Congo in the West. Uganda covers the area of the state of Oregan and has a population of about 20 million. Kampala (where I will be) is the capital and has around 1 million people.

The official language is English although Luganda is spoken a great deal in Kampala. Swahili is the second official language. It is 10 hours ahead of us here in California. I feel a bit unprepared for the trip and a bit anxious at being taken out of my comfort zone. Yet, I can rest in the fact that the Lord is soverign and I've been praying that He will use me and that no matter what comes my way I will have a great attitude and give thanks to Him for this opportunity. I know I take the luxuries of my life for granted. Although I am thankful for them it gets to a point where I think "i need it." It makes me realize how blest I am but also reveals a heart of pride and selfishness. I want to be broken of that.

The main thing our team will be doing is putting on a conference entitled "God and the Justice System" with a University over there. We will also be meeting with different agencies like the International Justice Mission. And of course visiting the Amani Baby Cottage. I am really looking forward to it.

How can you pray for me??!?!?!?
1. Pray that the Lord will use me (and the team) and also reveal areas where I need to be broken.
2. Pray for my health. This is a big concern for me as I haven't been feeling the greatest.
3. Pray that my attitude remains one of joy in all situations.
4. Pray that I can be an encouragement to the missionaries that I meet and that I can help them with their load and be willing to serve at all times.

I love you guys and am not sure if I will be able to post while I am away. Keep checking because I do have a few posts ready.....Do you think I could really neglect Would You Rather Wednesday!?!?

*Today I am so thankful to the Lord for giving me an opportunity to learn more about him and see how Great He is. I am thankful!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a great trip Hollie! The Plendl family will be praying for you.

"And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased." - Hebrews 13:16

Love you cousin!!

Jenny M. said...

I will be praying for you sis!! I'm so proud of you for doing this, for serving our Lord and others this way.

Travel safe and I hope you feel good healthwise while you are there.

So glad we got to spend time together. Love you!! Jen

Anonymous said...

we'll be praying for you too! safe smooth travels, good health and brokenness!

Nations' Conqueror said...

Hello Hollie, You're very welcome Uganda, We've many Born Again Christians here and am one of them... I believe your stay will not be boring.. You'll be extra impressed by the Ugandans..
As for your Health. I do pray that the Lord will be your protection.. ensure you come with your malaria Pills. yah, we've quite many Mosquitoes.. don't forget the mosquito net.
I will be glad to meet you when you arrive here.

May Christ live in you. May He smile on you, May He make your journey fruitful..

Derrick Kwagala
+256-782-420989

Summer Martin said...

I am praying for you, girl! Cannot wait to hear of how God's hand was upon you and of His continual and neverending faithfulness when you return!! Love you!!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear all about it when you get back! Praying for you and I just know that you will come back with many lessons learned and many blessings experienced!!
Love you!

TZ said...

I'm TZ from Malaysia... Just happen to drop by your blog via Google Search.

I'm leaving Uganda soon for my project over there :->