Thursday, June 5, 2008

Uganda...

"Therefore be imitators of God as dear children. And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, as an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet smelling aroma." Ephesians 5:1-2
I'm not even sure where to begin with my trip. There were so may wonderful moments and lessons learned. It will take me a few posts to cover all the different things. I want to begin with the thing that impacted me the most. We stayed with Danielle and Shannon Hurley. They are missionaries in Uganda from the Santa Clarita area and are TMC alumni. www.sosministries.com
Their two primary missions are humanitarian aid and biblical training. They live their ministry and this really impacted me. They have taken numerous people into their home who are in need. An example would be a guy named Charles. One day Shannon was driving and saw a crowd gather on the side of the road. He pulled over and Charles (a stranger) had been hit by a car and his leg was severed. No one was helping him and he was left there to die. Shannon put him in his car, rushed him to the hospital, paid for his expenses and then once released, Charles moved into their home. He was asked to attend bible study every day with Shannon and over the months he would sit in his chair and read the word of God. Charles gave his life to God and continues to live with the Hurleys and is being discipled by Shannon.
It made me see my selfishness and pride more than ever. I really believe the college is my ministry and I look at how I fit girls into my schedule when it's convienant for me. I give money to others in need but make sure I have enough for "my pleasures" too. I have students over for dinner when I feel like it or when they ask but not me pursuing them like I should. I have a selfish heart that really desires to be more like Christ as long as it's not inconvieant for my own agenda.I know there is a good balance to all of this but I know I'm not there yet.
In Africa I meet a family who live their lives to serve and love others daily. Danielle provides dinner for numerous people every day and does it with joy. She serves and helps her husband like none other I've seen AND does it all with a happy heart. They can only afford to have meat once a week because of the number of people they feed. Their luxury meal once a year is chicken breast. They have a home that is always open to others. They have never turned anyone away with medical needs. They love and serve others daily in order to share the gospel. It really made me look at myself and see my selfishness with my time and money. This is something I really want to evaluate in my life. If you think of it pray for the Hurley's. If you are wanting to give to a worthy cause that is imacting the kingdom then check out their site and see how you can help.

Ephesians 3:17-19 "...that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God."
*Today I am thankful that I am able to take a shower every day and be clean!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

SO glad you are back safely and have had such an edifying experience! I am so happy for you that you were able to go on this trip. I missed you and can't wait to hear more!
Love ya!