Friday, June 6, 2008

The Least of These...

"If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth." 1 John 3:17-18





On my trip to Uganda one thing that I witnessed everywhere I went was children on the streets. It was eye opening for me to see hundreds if not thousands of orphans. It gave me an even greater heart for adoption and foster care. The conditions that some of these kids live in is almost beyond comprehension, yet, they had no idea all the things they were missing out on. They knew no different. It was amazing for me to see the joy that they had. They would get so excited and happy when we would come around. They would want to touch us and hold hands and they loved getting their picture taken so they could see themselves. It was such a little thing that would get them so excited.
We were at an orphange one day and their was a group of kids that made up a children's choir. It brought tears to my eyes to see these kids sing about the love of God and praise His name. Their hearts were glad.
It's hard for me to comprehend why the Lord has chosen me to be blest beyond measure and have so much while these kids don't even get a meal some days. What can I be doing to make a difference to not just love with words or tongue but in action and truth? Being single, I can't just go out and adopt or even foster some of these kids. Even foster care is such a huge need in our country. I'm not sure what I can do at this point but I am thankful for the love the Lord has given me for these children and I hope to one day be able to adopt or provide for them in a more tangible way.

*Today I am thankful for a full nights sleep. The night before I only slept until 1:30 it was greatly needed!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those pictures were so cute Hol! So glad you are home. We love you!